The post describes the steps involved in setting up Remote Client for the development and customization of an existing Siebel Application using Siebel Tools. The process of customizing Siebel applications using Siebel tools starts with setting up of a Remote client and then you make all the changes on the Remote client database, test them and then integrate them after testing on local database.
Once all the changes are made and integrated to the Server, you must distribute the latest copy of the “Siebel.SRF” file to all the existing clients and synchronize all the clients before making use of the customized application.
Steps involved in setting up development environment for Siebel customizations is…
- Set up on Client’s network to log you on to client’s Siebel database and application.
- Set up on your laptop to access Client’s Siebel application.
- Set up on Client’s Siebel Server to add yourself as employee with customization responsibilities.
- Set up Mobile Client for yourself for the development (Generate database and Extract data).
- Set up Mobile Client for yourself (Synchronize Siebel Server and Remote Client).
- Set up Mobile Client for yourself for the development (Check In and Out).
Note: For a simplicity, try to keep, NT Login, Client’s Network login, Siebel Server Employee Name, Remote Client Name and all passwords the same so you don’t have to remember each combination.
Setting up of Remote Client on Client site
For the customization and configuration of Client’s Siebel Application as per their needs and requirements, it is the critical to simulate the requirements and propose solutions on a separate local database and test them to the client’s satisfaction and then release the new application to go on live.
To achieve this, we need to create a Remote Client for the development team member and then work on a local copy of the application. This section of the document describes the steps involved in setting up the Remote Client in order to customize and configure existing application to suit the Client’s needs and requirements.
- Set up on Client’s network
- Add yourself as a valid user on client’s network.
- Give rights to all directories on Client’s network that is related to Siebel application.
- Test your login on the client’s network from any PC.
Set up on your laptop to access Client’s Siebel Application
- Create NT User to log on to client’s network with “Logon as a Service” option using Administration Tools User Manager option.
- Connect your laptop physically on to client’s network.
- Check that you can view the PC and the drive on which Client’s various Siebel Servers are installed.
- Create a new database on MS SQL Server for the Client’s Server database and Register it on your laptop.
- Create DSN using ODBC Data source option to log on to Client’s Siebel Server(s) and test the data connectivity using Control Panel ODBC data sources option. The IP address of this client’s Siebel Server database must be the Name of the PC on which the Siebel Server database is stored. It is recommended to give the actual IP address rather than the PC name. Specify the login details also to login to the Siebel Server database. This must be the same as the Remote login name.
- Create login and user on MS SQL Server of your local database with Administration privilege. This login, username and password must be the same as the one created on the Client’s Siebel Server database.
- Copy “Siebel.SRF” file from the Client’s set up and use the same for your Remote login to Client’s Siebel Server login in, customization and configuration.
Set up on Client’s Siebel Server to add yourself as Employee
(All these tasks are executed for any of the existing Client’s Siebel client connected to the Client’s Siebel Server).
- Run Siebel Sales Enterprise and login as SADMIN/SADMIN on to client’s server.
- Select Application Administration -> Employee -> Employee screen.
- Create a new Employee for yourself. Specify Position as Siebel Administrator or Siebel Developer.
- Select Application Administration -> Position screen.
- Create a new position as “Siebel Developer” or “Siebel Administrator” and add yourself (new employee created to the position.
- Add yourself as a new Employee on the Client’s Siebel Server. Specify Login Name, User Name and Password. This must be the same when you create a user on your laptop local MS SQL Server database as this login will be used for all customization purpose on Remote Client.
- Mark yourself as a remote client. Login as SADMIN/SADMIN on Siebel Sales Enterprise. Select Screen -> Siebel Remote Administration -> Mobile Client screen. On the screen, add new record for yourself (as a new employee added). Specify Mobile Client Name (the same as that defined while creating new employee, Login name (select from employee list).
- Select “Mobile Client – Standard” in the routing group.
Set up Mobile Client for yourself for the development (Generate database and Extract data)
- Connect your laptop on client’s network and then login as the user created on Client’s LAN.
- Run Siebel Sales Enterprise application and login as SADMIN/SADMIN.
- Select Server Administration -> Enterprise -> Enterprise Server.
- Select Enterprise Server on which you have logged in.
- Select Server Tasks view for the selected Siebel Server Enterprise.
- Add a new task and select “Generate New Database”. Set the Parameters for the server task and start the process. Wait for the database generation process to be completed.
- Next add a new task and select “Database Extract”. Set the parameters for the server task and start the process. Here in the parameters, “Client Name” must be the same as the one specified as the “Remote Client Name” while creating a remote client on the Siebel Server database. Wait till you get the “Client extracted successfully” message.
- Now you can verify that the extracted files are created in “OUT” directory under a directory named by your “Remote Client Name” under “Docking” directory under “Siebel Server” directory. I.e. “\SiebelServer\Docking\RemoteClientName\Out” directory. There will be 2 files. (“.toc” and “.uaf”).
Set up Mobile Client for yourself (Synchronize Siebel Server and Remote Client)
- On your laptop, create a login (under Security option) and a user (under Siebeldb database) for your Remote Client login on MS SQL Server database. Use the same name and password that are used for your Remote Client login.
- Go to Siebel Server “Bin” directory and execute “SiebSync” application. Specify the Remote Client Name, login name, password and Remote Client directory (“\RemoteClientName\Local”). This process will create a local database for you newly created Remote Client on your laptop under your Remote Client directory. I.e. “\RemoteClientName\Local\inbox”.
- The synchronization process will also create “sse_data.dbf” file that is your remote client database on which all the customization will be done.
- Connect your laptop on client’s network and then Run Siebel Sales Enterprise Application and login using your remote login name and password to the local database created as a process of synchronization. You must be able to see all the data that has been extracted from the Siebel database server.
- With this, you are set as a Remote Client on the Siebel Enterprise Server.
- You can now run Synchronization process whenever you want to send or receive data to or from the Siebel Server.
- Whenever you want to synchronize data from and to Remote Client, make sure that following Server Task are running on the Siebel Enterprise Server.
- · Transaction Processor
- · Transaction Router
- · Transaction Merger
Multi-developer environment configuration management set up on Mobile Client (Check In and Out)
- Connect your laptop on client’s network and then Run Siebel Tools Application and login using your remote login name and password to the local database created as a process of synchronization.
- “GET” the latest copy of everything to ensure that you make customization update on the latest copy of the application. Go to Repository -> CheckOut option.
- From the Check Out dialog box, select the entire listed Projects and select “Get” button.
- All the projects will be now copied to your local database.
- This is critical every time you want to check out any project.
- Once, you have the latest copy of all the projects, you can selectively check out project(s) that you would like to modify.
- Go to Repository-> CheckOut option. Select project(s) to be checked out and execute “CheckOut” button.
- This will check out the selected project for updates in to your local database.
- Any update made to the selected project will be now local and the same project(s) is(are) locked on the Siebel Server till you check them in.
- Once you are through with all the changes made to the checked out project and they are tested and verified, check them in so that the updated application is available to everyone on the server.
- Go to Repository -> CheckIn option. Select the checked out projects and execute “CheckIn” button.
- This will put all updated projects back on the Server database and now if you compile the project from the Server database using Server login, you will have the latest copy of the most recently updated application.
- The same .SRF file then needs to be copied to all clients to reflect the changes. It is also recommended to synchronize all the clients when the updated application is to be used.