I have assisted 4 siebel application for the actuate report issues. I am listing down the common Reports error and their Solutions which i faced during these assignments.
- “Report generation has failed on the Report Server”
- “External library not found”
- “Use of a null instance handle”
- “The page cannot be displayed”
“Report generation has failed on the Report Server”
- This message presented to the Siebel Web Client user indicates that a report has failed on the Reports Server, but is not the real cause for the failure. The error message indicating the actual cause of this error is located in the failed job on the Reports Server. Use this error message in the failed Reports Server job to complete further investigation to resolve the issue.
- Log on to the Actuate Management Console as the Administrator user. Select the volume name when logging in.
- Navigate to the Jobs > Completed option.
- Locate the job that corresponds to your report submission. This is usually the most current job and is indicated by a red cross check mark.
- Click on the failed job and then navigate to the Status tab.
- Now check with your administrator to help out in this scenario.
“External library not found”
Cause and solution:
- This error message usually indicates the Siebel Reports Server Access Component was not installed properly or cannot access any of the libraries installed under the Reports Server installation directory.
- Check that the Siebel Reports Server Access component been properly installed on the same machine running the Actuate eReporting Server. with the help of Siebel Administrator:
“Use of a null instance handle”
Cause and solution
This error usually occurs due to issues with the report design such as placing controls in the report incorrectly or having custom code in the report.
Check the following points to further investigate and resolve this behavior:
- Check if the error only occurs when running the report against a specific set of records or even a particular record. If yes, check whether the records contain any invalid data.
- Check whether there is any control in the report design that was not pulled from ssCustom.rol, like afc.rol or ssSiebel.rol, for instance. Using controls other than the ones from ssCustom.rol is not a supported approach and may cause this error message. If this is the case, make the appropriate changes to the report design to use only the proper controls from ssCustom.rol.
- To do this you can change the Super Class property of the control to the corresponding object from ssCustom.rol. For instance, if you have included a control in the report whose Super Class is AcTextControl, change the Super Class to ssTxt (or any other derived from it like ssTxtB, ssTxtBI, etc) since this is the corresponding object from ssCustom.rol.
“The page cannot be displayed”
Symptom or Error Message:
- Accessing the Management Console login page results in the following message in the web browser
The page cannot be displayed
- The Actuate HTTP Service has not been started.
- The Actuate HTTP Service port is being used by another application, or the Tomcat port has been changed from default. Attempt to access the default page of the Actuate HTTP Service using the URL HTTP://<host:port>. If the Actuate HTTP Service default page does not appear and the message “The page cannot be displayed” is returned:
- Confirm that the Actuate HTTP Service is started.
- Confirm that the port number referenced in the URL is the port number that Actuate HTTP Service is running on.
- Start the Actuate HTTP Service, and start the Actuate HTTP Service by running the startup script located in the actuate_http_service/bin directory or start the Actuate HTTP Service on Windows platforms.
- Specify the port number that Actuate HTTP Service uses in the URL to access Management Console.