Smart part numbers can be used to generate part numbers for the following types of products in quotes, orders, agreements, and for products added to shopping carts:
• Simple products
• Products with components
NOTE: The Smart Part Number Generation business service generates the Smart Part Number only for a product that has attribute values defined for its product class.
Smart part numbers allow you to automatically generate part numbers for different combinations of product attributes. You do not have to make an entry in the product table and provide a part number for each combination of product attributes that a customer can purchase.
For example, you sell shirts in three sizes: small, medium, and large. You also sell them in three colors: red, green, and blue. There are nine possible combinations of size and color that customers can purchase. Each combination needs a part number that can be passed to a back-end system at the time of purchase.
One way to set this up is to make an entry in the product table for each combination. In other words, you create nine separate products. This is time consuming and does not take advantage of the attribute features in the class system. It also does not take advantage of the attribute-based pricing features in Siebel Pricer.
Another way to set this up is to make one entry in the product table for the shirt. You then define color and size attributes on the class to which the shirt belongs. Finally, you use smart part number to define which part number to assign to each combination of attributes. For example, when the customer selects the shirt in size small and color blue, smart part number generates a part number for this combination and displays it in the quote. You can also use attribute-based pricing in Pricer to determine the price of the shirt.
There are several advantages to this method:
• It makes managing the product table easier. You make one entry for a product and then use the class system to define and manage its attributes. If you enter a product’s attribute combinations as products in the product table, you must manually edit the table when attributes change.
• It makes managing part numbers easier and more accurate. You can make one entry for a part number definition and it will be applied to all the forms of the product consistently and accurately.
• It allows you to take advantage of important features in related products such as attribute-based pricing in Siebel Pricer.
Roadmap for Creating Smart Part Numbers
Smart part number provides the following methods for defining how part numbers are generated:
• Dynamic. You specify what product attributes participate in creating a part number and the string that each attribute value will have. You then define a part number template with placeholders for the attribute values. Smart part number inserts the value of the attribute into the part number template to create the final part number. Use this method when your part numbers include important information, besides attribute values, that is needed to uniquely identify the product.
• Predefined. You specify what product attributes participate in creating a part number. You can then do one of two things:
1. You can auto-generate a matrix of all the combinations of these attributes. Random part numbers are provided for each combination. You can accept the random values or replace them with your own values.
2. You can manually create the matrix, inserting your own part numbers.
3. When the user selects product attributes, smart part number searches the list for the correct attribute combination and uses its part number. Use this method when your part numbers cannot be easily created using string substitution.
You define named smart part number methods on product classes. These methods use the attributes defined on the class to generate a part number. Only attributes with a list of values domain can be used to generate part numbers. When you assign a product to a class, you can select for it any of the smart part number methods that have been defined on the class.
If you add or remove attributes on a class, or change the values for an attribute, these changes are not automatically propagated to the smart part number methods defined on the class. You must manually update each smart part number method with the changes.
To create smart part numbers for products, perform the following tasks:
• Creating the smart part numbers. You can do this in one of two ways:
1. Process of Creating Dynamically Generated Smart Part Numbers
2. Process of Creating Predefined Smart Part Numbers
• Assigning Smart Part Numbers to a Product
Assigning Smart Part Numbers to a Product
Smart part numbers defined on a product class are not inherited by the products in the class. You must manually assign the part number generation method to a product.
When you assign a generation method to a product, this method is used for generating part numbers whenever this product is used in new quotes, orders and so on.
To assign a generation method to a product
• Navigate to the Administration – Product screen, then the Product Definitions view.
• In the Products list, select the desired product.
• In the bottom applet, in the product Part Number Method field, enter the generation method information.
• Click Release to make it take effect
Viewing a Product’s Smart Part Number in a Quote
The part number displayed in the Part # field throughout the application and in quotes, orders, and so on is the internally assigned part number. This part number is different than the smart part number, which displays in a separate field.
Before viewing a product’s smart part number in a quote, you must assign a part number generation method to the product.
Assigning a generation method to a product does not cause a smart number to be generated in existing quotes containing the product.
To view a product’s smart part number in a quote
• Create a quote containing the product.
• Navigate to the Quotes screen, then the Line Items view.
• Highlight the desired line item, and click the Item Detail view tab.
• Locate the Smart Part Number field.
You may need to expand the Line Item Detail form to make the Smart Part Number field visible.